Friday, July 31, 2015

Vietnamese Vegan

I had never really had vietnamese food before, but just a few months ago, I started hearing raving reviews of a local place called All Chay, a vietnamese vegan restaurant in Salt Lake City, Utah.  I ate there for the first time with my brother and my husband and we fell in love with the food, I mean we did not have one dish that we didn't think was amazing.

Again recently I had the chance to go to All Chay and again, we were blown away with the subtle yet captivating tastes and experience of the cuisine!

I recently came back from a trip to North Carolina, where my vegan options were very limited. I survived on snack from Natural Grocer which were:

1- Dehydrated mangos
2- Freeze-dried peas
3- Freeze-dried corn
4- Vega nutritional shake powder
5- Raw granola
6- Vegan jerky
7- Raw granola bars
8- Macaroons
9- Crackers
10- Peanut butter
11- Roasted Nori flavored teriyaki

I had brought this all in my suitcase.

Everyday I would walk from my hotel (it was a conference) to the mall across the street -- nice vegetarian restaurants were like an hour away in walking distance, so that was a no go for me since I didn't have a car-- and no sorry I didn't want to have to figure out the bus system.

Anyway, I literally had Moes everyday.  I had a veggie burrito, no dairy, plus guacemole.  By day 5, I was pretty sick of the stuff. I also tried a salad, but seemed to taste the exact same as a burrito, unfortunately.

Once I did meander enough to visit a vietnamese stall, where I got a veggie Pho noodle soup.  And maybe I was just hungry but I totally fell in love.

Now all I want is vietnamese food.

Today I made a vegan pho using:
1 package dried shiitake
1 tbsp vegan butter
1 veggie bouillon no salt
3-4 cups of water
1/2 package of rice noodles
1 carrot chopped
6 leaves of swiss chard chopped
1 garlic scape chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp tamari
1/2 tsp grated ginger
juice of 1/2 lime

Boil the water with bouillon, butter, ginger, shiitake, carrot, scape and noodles, until the noodles are cooked.  Add the rest of the ingredients except the lime, once the chard is wilted yet still bright green, take it off the stove and add the lime juice.

I had this for dinner tonight and it was amazing. I would love to make some banh mi sandwiches soooon.

No comments:

Post a Comment