Monday, October 12, 2015

Pressure Cooking and Slow Cooking

As a graduate student,
Can I just say how much these things are just blissful ways of getting wholesome nutrients in a no fuss way??

So last week, I got a bit of a cold. Thank god vegan colds are like, the most amazing kind of colds you can get. So compared the colds I used to get before I went vegan. It was like snotty, coughy, feverish monster for at minimum a week. Okay maybe I didn't have a fever for a week. But Sore throat would last 2 days, bad sneeze would last 2-3 days, bad cough would last 3-5 days. It was awful. And I'm sure everyone can relatively relate to the awfulness that a cold can be. I also used to get these 3-4 times a year!!! And that was normal!

Okay as a vegan, I get sick once per year... if that.. maybe even once per year and a half.

This is how it usually plays out.
Okay so maybe I will have one day of death. Tiredness, sore throat. (Monday last week)
But the day after, I was relatively okay, a bit of fatigue, a bit of a runny nose, but nothing even close to what it used to be before being a vegan.
Day after, a little bit of a cough, but pretty okay. The intensity of a vegan cold is like a 2, and the intensity of a vegetarian/meat eater cold is like a 10, on a scale of 1-10.

 A pretty dramatic difference.

Anyway.

So last week I made soups that I've been living on ever since lol.

Both inspired from the Vegan Pressure Cooking Cookbook by JL Fields
And one made in a slow cooker while the other was made in the pressure cooker.

While I also made rice on the stove.

Apart from the soup, this week I've eaten a lot of green apples, and gardein  (not) fish sticks, I am totally in love with those.  I made a nice salad with the fish sticks, plus romaine lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers- I used a garlic mustard dressing (olive oil (1 tbs), lemon juice (1/2 lemon), 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp mustard... that was for one serving, but I think there are better mustardy garlicy dressing recipes if searching for it online.

Okay so I made:

Potato, Apple and Lentil Soup:
1/2 cup diced onions
1/2 sweet potato diced
2 potatoes diced
1/4 teaspoon of smoked paprika
dash of cayenne
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 apples diced
1/2 cup dried green lentils
4 cups low sodium veggie broth
1/2 tsp salt
ground black pepper
1 cup frozen mixed veggies

Throw everything into a slow cooker on high, and voila, 4 hours later you got some delightful stew!!

Creamy Kale Miso Soup:
4 garlic cloves cut in half
1 small sweet onion quartered
1 carrot diced
4 cups low sodium veggie broth
150g silken tofu
1 bunch broccolini chopped
1 cup brussel sprouts
1/2 cup of green peas
3 tbsp yellow miso
black pepper

Throw everything into a pressure cooker and cook on high pressure for 4 minutes, let it slow release.  If after 10 minutes it hasn't released, let out the pressure.  Once you open it up, I used an immersion blender to get it creamy.

I've been eating this stuff on rice all week.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment