Thursday, October 22, 2015

Sloppy Joe Pasta

Okay today I experimented with Sloppy Joes in the Pressure cooker, it came out really good!

1 cup dried lentils
1 chopped onion
3 garlic cloves chopped
2 cups of water
2 tbsp of soy sauce
2 tsp of chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
8oz tempeh roughly sliced /chopped


I mixed all of these ingredients in a pressure cooker on high for 10 minutes. This unfortunately wasn't enough time. So I did another 5 minutes. Still wasn't quite enough time, So I am thinking that 20 minutes in the pressure cooker with unsoaked lentils should be enough.  Fast release.

After the first round of 10 minutes I added

1 can of diced tomato
3-4 dashes of chipotle powder
1/4 c tomato ketchup
1/2 tbsp yellow mustard

That's when I put them back in for 5 minutes.

But I have heard that acidity in tomatoes makes it harder for lentils to get soft.. so maybe it's possible
that the first round could only be like 15 minutes with the lentils, and if you wanted to do a second round you can otherwise, it tasted pretty good after the first round, the only reason I did another was I was thinking maybe the lentils could get a bit softer. They did get a bit softer, but not as soft as maybe I would have preferred. I was so hungry though I ate it anyway :)

I also cooked up a package of spiral noodles... mixed it with the sloppy joe stuff, and sprinkled it with nutritional yeast.

It was amazing.

:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment